If you are contemplating hurting yourself, click on this.
Life Conquering Blog – A Mental Health Outreach focuses on encouraging and educating the community and beyond about mental health advocacy and stigma.
Through Life Conquering’s blogs, articles, talks, and individual discussions, each have all developed into a vessel to demonstrate how Jesus takes care of me in my bipolar 1 mess. I am not only working to destroy stigma in our offices and schools, I am destroying stigma in the church. How do I do that? It is simple. Open up a discussion and speak the truth in love.
Mental Health Outreach Speaker – LCTalks
I speak about the topic I am most passionate about. My heart quickens whenever I hear, speak, or write about mental health outreach, stigma, and advocacy. One reason is I have a mental illness. Another reason, I know just how difficult it is to live with scrambled eggs for a brain.
Life Conquering – A Mental Health Outreach speaks at schools, community events, churches, hospitals, police departments, businesses, conferences, law offices, Bible studies, retreats, military bases, your office and pretty much anywhere else I am needed and can help.
Topics I might discuss at these sessions are:
- my personal story as someone with bipolar 1 with psychotic features, mixed episodes/ultra-rapid cycling, ADHD, OCD, GAD, and social anxiety (I will take questions from the audience);
- stigma – what it is and where we see it (this is a great time to do small group discussions);
- your part – how can you decrease stigma in your world?
- proper accommodations in the workplace/academic setting, (brainstorm in small groups various ideas to help people with a mental illness feel comfortable at work/school);
- are schools preparing MI students for what awaits for them at the job site? Why/why not?
- famous people with mental illnesses (who do you know? How has that celebrity impacted or hindered the fight against stigma? Speak honestly about celebrity suicide);
- how to talk with your boss, teacher, mentor, spouse, friend and children about your mental illness (brainstorm ideas);
- the pros and cons of abusing the accommodations that are/should be afforded to you at work or school. (discussion in small groups); and
- share with them my brush with suicide as a middle school student and as an adult. (open up for discussion).
My official diagnosis is bipolar 1 with psychotic features, rapid cycling and mixed episodes, ADHD, OCD, GAD, and social anxiety. I have been living in this bipolar 1 body for over 20 years. Therefore, I have first-hand experience of the roller coaster which includes manic and depressed episodes daily if not hourly, plus some psychoses so bad that I wanted to kill myself, and social anxiety where I have not been able to go to church or to the grocery.
Having a front-row seat all these years to mental illness, I make an excellent choice to come to speak at your meeting about mental health advocacy and stigma. I can listen to the audience’s concerns, share general information, talk about how to get help and coping mechanisms.
Hire me, Amy, to be your Mental Health Outreach Speaker
I would love to come to your place of business or meet you at Starbucks and discuss my passion to change the world’s view on this overly misunderstood topic one person at a time. Just email me at email@example.com. Together with knowledge and a caring heart, we will be able to tear down the walls of stigma!